Discover the amazing secret beach of Curacao, Playa Gipy
You are looking to explore Curacao off the beaten tracks? What better place to look for than a small, secluded bay completely tucked away from the masses? I guarantee you, that you will have this secret beach called Playa Gipy Curacao, completely to yourself! This is easily the most secluded and exclusive spot on the entire island – and it can be quite hard to reach if you don’t know what you are looking for. Keep on reading to find out how to discover the most amazing secret beach of Curacao! If you are looking for more beach inspiration, check out my 17 favorite beaches in Curacao. For more info about the island of Curacao check out my ultimate Curacao Travel Guide!
Table of Contents
- How to get to the secret beach in Curacao
- Things you need to know about Playa Gipy before you go
- Is it worth going to the secret beach in Curacao?
- Other things to do close to Playa Gipy, Curacao
How to get to the secret beach in Curacao
The secret beach in Curacao is also called Playa Gipy, and is far out in the west of the island. Playa Gipy is mostly known among locals. We have made the trip to Playa Gipy many times, and we have never encountered other people there.
The easiest (and only) way to reach Playa Gipy is by car. Since most navigation systems don’t know it, I suggest putting Watamula Hole as a reference point. This is a famous attraction in Curacao, and there is also a small parking spot right next to the hole.
From the parking spot you will be able to see a huge rock with the Curacao flag on it. Head towards the ocean and behind the rock. Then keep walking along the cliff on the left side. After a roughly 10 min walk on rocky terrain you will be able to see Playa Gipy from above. You can crawl down some rocks and reach Playa Gipy. The crawl is not too difficult, but you will need good shoes.
Things you need to know about Playa Gipy before you go
- The beach is not super easy to reach, and it is definitely not accessible for everyone. If you are not steady on your feet, I suggest to sit this one out
- Make sure to wear good shoes and if possible long pants. There are many plants with thorns alongside the way that even went through my flip flop into my toe.
- The current is extremely strong, so do not swim out too far
- Bring some water, this spot is extremely exposed to the sun and there is no way of buying anything there
Is it worth going to the secret beach in Curacao?
Personally, this is my favorite spot on the entire island. I have never seen such natural beauty and serenity anywhere else in the world. The hidden little bay of Playa Gipy is completely untouched and quiet. We loved going for a swim there and just watching the waves come crashing.
The hike there is a bit unnerving, since it is alongside the cliff. But in my opinion, it is well worth it. Just keep in mind that this side of the island is experiencing rougher waters than the other side, so do not expect calm waters.
For everyone that is up for an adventure – I can definitely recommend heading to the secret beach in Curacao. This is also one of my favorite romantic spots in Curacao, so make sure to put it on your agenda if you are traveling with your loved one.
Other things to do close to Playa Gipy, Curacao
There are many other great things to do in the area of Playa Gipy, Curacao . Driving all the way to the west of the island for just one hidden Curacao beach might not seem so appealing to you. However, there are great options of amazing things to do close by Playa Gipy:
- Check out the Watamula hole and the Curacao rock
- See other fabulous beaches in the area, such as Playa Lagun and Playa Kalki
- Christoffel National Park
- Shete Boka National Park
- Check out my Curacao Travel Guide for more ideas and info