Are you looking for a way to visit Playa Gipy Curacao and no idea yet how to get there? Then I got you covered!
Playa Gipy in Curacao is the most amazing spot on the island. It is completely off the beaten tracks and totally unspoiled!
I guarantee you, that you will have the secret beach Playa Gipy (or Playa Guepi) completely to yourself! This is easily the most secluded and exclusive spot on the entire island – and it can be quite hard to reach if you don’t know what you are looking for.
We have been to the small beach many times – it is my favorite spot in Curacao. To help you find it and make the most of your visit, I have created this guide!
For more info about the island of Curacao check out my ultimate Curacao Travel Guide!
Table of Contents
- How to Get to Playa Gipy, Curacao
- Things You Need to Know About Playa Gipy Curacao
- Is It Worth Going to Playa Gipy Curacao?
- Other Things to Do Close to Playa Gipy, Curacao
- Conclusion: Playa Gipy Curacao
- About the Author
How to Get to Playa Gipy, Curacao
The secret beach in Curacao is called Playa Gipy (or Playa Guepi), and is far out in the west in the island. Playa Gipy is mostly known among locals.
We have made the trip to Playa Gipy many times, and we have never encountered other people there.
The easiest (and only) way to reach Playa Gipy is by car. Since most navigation systems don’t know it, I suggest putting Watamula Hole as a reference point. This is a famous attraction in Curacao, and there is also a small parking spot right next to the hole.
You don’t need a 4×4 car to get there (we never had one). The road is quite uneven and there are sometimes massive holes in it, so make sure to avoid these.
From the parking spot you will be able to see a huge rock with the Curacao flag on it. Head towards the ocean and behind the rock. Then keep walking along the cliff on the left side.
After a roughly 10 min walk on rocky terrain you will be able to see Playa Gipy from above. You can crawl down some rocks and reach Playa Gipy. The crawl is not too difficult, but you will need good shoes.
You can also take a Private Curacao Boat Tour to Playa Gipy.
Things You Need to Know About Playa Gipy Curacao
- The beach is not super easy to reach, and it is definitely not accessible for everyone. If you are not steady on your feet, I suggest to sit this one out
- Make sure to wear good shoes and if possible long pants. There are many plants with thorns alongside the way that even went through my flip flop into my toe.
- The current is extremely strong, so do not swim out too far
- Snorkeling is possible and nice at Playa Gipy – but be mindful of the current
- Bring some water, this spot is extremely exposed to the sun and there is no way of buying anything there
- There are absolutely no amenities there – so make sure to bring your own towels and snacks
Is It Worth Going to Playa Gipy Curacao?
Personally, this is my favorite spot on the entire island. I have never seen such natural beauty and serenity anywhere else in the world. The hidden little bay of Playa Gipy is completely untouched and quiet. We loved going for a swim there and just watching the waves come crashing.
The hike there is a bit unnerving, since it is alongside the cliff. But in my opinion, it is well worth it. Just keep in mind that this side of the island is experiencing rougher waters than the other side, so do not expect calm waters.
For everyone that is up for an adventure – I can definitely recommend heading to the secret beach in Curacao.
This is also one of my favorite romantic spots in Curacao, so make sure to put it on your agenda if you are traveling with your loved one.
Do you need travel insurance in Curacao? Yes, travel insurance in Curacao is highly recommended. Unsafe roads, water sports accidents, and food poisoning are only a few examples of when travel insurance could come in handy. EKTA offers worldwide travel insurance with 24/7 service and no hidden fees or restrictions.
Other Things to Do Close to Playa Gipy, Curacao
There are many other great things to do in the area of Playa Gipy, Curacao.
Driving all the way to the west of the island for just one hidden Curacao beach might not seem so appealing to you. However, there are great options of amazing things to do close by Playa Gipy:
- Check out the Watamula hole and the Curacao rock
- See other fabulous beaches in the area, such as Playa Lagun and Playa Kalki and Grote Knip Beach
- Christoffel National Park: You can either hike the Christoffel Berg early in the morning or drive around the Christoffel National Park
- Shete Boka National Park: see the big waves crashing onto impressive cliffs at the Shete Boka Park. It is definitely another great spot on the island.
- Check out my Curacao Travel Guide for more ideas and info
- Have lunch at Bahia Lagun or Playa Forti restaurant (both have an amazing view)
- Go Scuba Diving at Watamula
Conclusion: Playa Gipy Curacao
Playa Gipy Curacao is easily my favorite spot on the island.
The small, secluded beach is completely unspoiled and it is always super quiet there. You can lie on the beach, go for a swim or a snorkel or simply enjoy the amazing view from above the cliff.
The dive to Playa Gipy is quite long, but it is worth it. If you are looking to explore Curacao off the beaten tracks, Playa Gipy needs to be on your itinerary.
If you are looking for guided boat trips that will take you to other hidden spots in Curacao, head over here.
About the Author
Sabrina is a passionate travel blogger and content creator, based in the Netherlands. She spends about half of the year traveling to various destinations together with her husband.
She provides slow-paced itineraries that focus on quality over quantity. Sabrina wants to help her readers to get more out of their travel experiences – while doing less. Read more.